I tell my patients considering breast augmentation in suburban Chicago that the procedure involves many choices. Three of the most important breast implant considerations are:
1. Type of implant: If you are over the age of 22, you will have the option of silicone or saline breast implants for your breast augmentation. Both implant types are FDA-approved and have a long history of use in millions of women worldwide. There are advantages and tradeoffs for both, including:
- generally thought to look and feel more like natural breast tissue
- the latest silicone implants contain a highly cohesive gel that will not leak
- come in round or anatomical shapes
- can be placed through smaller incisions, allowing for inconspicuous scarring
- the solution can be absorbed by the body without negative side effects if the implant ruptures
To learn more about how saline and silicone implants compare, please look at my blog post where I cover this topic in greater detail. I talk about the important details such as the placement, feel, and cost of both implant types and what makes each of them unique.
2. Size of implant: Your implant size should be based on your body type and cosmetic goals. Generally, I take into account the ratio of breast tissue to fat, chest width, breast diameter, and overall body proportions. Combining this information with a patient’s expectations enables me to recommend an appropriate size that will satisfy her needs and flatter her body frame.
3. Implant placement. Implants can be placed above or below the pectoral muscle. Women who are very fit or who have very little breast tissue usually benefit from submuscular placement (under the muscle). This provides more soft tissue coverage and may reduce visible rippling around the implant edges. Women with a good amount of existing breast tissue may have implants placed over the muscle, which requires less recovery time.
To see the improvements a breast augmentation can make, see my online photo gallery of breast augmentation patients. If you are interested in exploring the potential benefits of this transformative procedure, please contact us for an appointment.